The federal Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) entitles eligible employees to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected Leave for specified family and medical reasons during a 12 month rolling year period.
- Eligibility for FMLA requires at least 12 months state service, and at least 1250 hours worked in the 12 months preceding the Leave.
- A request for FMLA should be made 30 days in advance, if possible.
- FMLA leave types to include Continuous, Intermittent, and a reduced schedule.
- FMLA can be taken for the birth of a child, adoption/foster care, the employee’s serious health condition or an immediate family member, and exigency leave (covered family member active duty).
- To apply for FMLA, employees must first register and then apply online at www.fmlasource.com.
- Applying for FMLA
- FAQs - Provided by the Department of Labor
- Employee Rights Under the Family and Medical Leave Act provided by the DOL
- The Employee's Guide to the Family and Medical Leave Act provided by the DOL
Family and Medical Leave Act Policies: