Death of an Employee/ Employee’s Dependent
Below is information regarding what needs to be done in the event of the death of an employee or employee’s dependent.
- Notify the Campus HR department where the employee worked to inform them of the employee’s/dependent’s passing. If possible, please provide the name and number of the person who informed you of the death.
- Complete the departmental ePAR.
- Notify the HR Benefits Department of the employee’s/dependent passing. HR Benefits
will then reach out to the contact person to assist them with items such as:
- Completing the Minnesota Life Insurance Form and providing it to Securian Financial Group. Securian will process the claim and reach out to the beneficiary to provide detailed life insurance information.
- Contact the Retirement Carrier: Teacher’s Retirement System (TRS) or retirement vendor for the Optional Retirement Plan (ORP). Within 4-6 weeks, TRS will mail benefits information to the beneficiary on file. If ORP, the vendor will send instructions and information to the beneficiary on file.
- Submit the “Report a Death” form to the Employees Retirement System. ERS will then send beneficiaries a packet with insurance information and instructions.