Faculty and staff who are retirement eligible also are eligible for leave programs. Time away from the workplace must be approved by the immediate supervisor, and may require additional approval by other administrators. Leave requests are managed electronically with the eLeave process.
These trainings will walk staff and managers through the policies regarding leave, the different types of leave, how to use leave, request leave, and approve leave.
- Managing Leave with eLeave HSC
- Managing Leave with eLeave UNT Dallas
- Managing Leave with eLeave UNT
- Managing Leave with eLeave UNT System
Leave is governed by state law and by regulations approved by the UNT System Board of Regents, by the UNT System Administration, UNT System Human Resources, campus presidents and executive leadership at each location.
Check with your supervisor before planning to be away from the workplace. An unauthorized absence may affect pay.
Faculty and Staff Leave
The most commonly used leave types may be requested and/or recorded by contacting department supervisors. Common types of leave are sick, emergency leave for a funeral or bereavement, military, jury and witness duty. Family and Medical Leave Act (including maternity and paternity leave) and vacation.
A supervisor’s approval is required prior to most leave requests. Leave is requested and approved using the eLeave process. Faculty leave is managed by the Office of the Provost at each campus.
- View your vacation and sick leave balances at my.untsystem.
- Learn more about Sick Leave and the Sick Leave Pool.
- Learn more about Vacation Leave.
- Learn more about the federal Family and Medical Leave Act and how to manage it with FMLASource.
- Learn about state holidays and find a schedule of FY18 and FY19 holidays at all components.
Leave may be offered for service dog assistance training, fitness programs, voting, foster parent activities, disaster assistance training and participation, and blood, organ and bone marrow donation. Leave for these reasons is managed by department supervisors at the employee's workplace location.
The System supports employees who serve in state or federal military units and provides employment protections, rights and benefits to those employees who serve our country.
Find policies, contact Campus Human Resources departments at each location:
- UNT - Policy 05.049, UNT Campus Human Resources, 940-565-2281
- UNTHSC - Policy 05.609, Campus Human Resources, 817-735-2690
- UNT Dallas and its College of Law - Policy 5.017.7, Campus Human Resources, 972-338-1410
- UNT System Administration - Policies 03.607 and 03.608, Campus Human Resources, 972-338-1410
Employees with military obligations may also contact a Benefits Coordinator or call the Records Center, 1-855-878-7650, Option 2, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, for assistance.
Location closures due to inclement weather or emergency situations are announced by each campus president or senior executive and are recorded by department timekeepers. To be automatically notified when emergency or weather situations occur:
- Subscribe to Eagle Alert at UNT and the free, downloadable Mean Green Ready app
- Subscribe to Red Alert at UNTHSC
- Subscribe to JagAlert at UNTD
You can also update your information at my.untsystem.edu.
- Click on 'Personal Information'
- Click on 'Phone Numbers'
You can select which campuses' notifications you receive as well as un-enroll.
Policies and Regulations
Employees with questions about leave should carefully review the policy that affects their circumstances and their location. Faculty members should contact their department leader, dean or Provost regarding leave related to academic pursuits. Find policies:
- UNT Health Science Center
- UNT Dallas including UNT Dallas College of Law
- UNT System Administration
Additional information may be found in these regulations: