NEW- access the Staff Job Classification/Reclassification Form
The Compensation and Performance Management team is responsible for conducting analysis and determining job classifications. Classification analysis is the methodology used to evaluate the attributes of a job to determine the appropriate job title job code and salary grade. This includes evaluating the duties and responsibilities of the job and comparing jobs or classifications for a series of jobs.
Reclassification guidelines and timelines may vary by institution, particularly for filled positions. Please contact your Campus or System HR team and review applicable institutional policies to determine eligibility for the reclassification process.
A classification or reclassification analysis is necessary in the following instances:
• Classification: When a department has a new position, the duties and responsibilities of the new position are reviewed by the Compensation and Performance Management team to determine the appropriate job title and pay grade.
• Reclassification: When position duties and responsibilities for an existing position have changed and are significant and permanent, Compensation will conduct a reclassification analysis to determine if any changes are needed to the job title and pay grade.
How to Submit a Classification/Reclassification Request
• Complete the Staff Job Classification/Reclassification Request Form and save it as a PDF.
• Complete the related ePAR requesting the new position or reclassification.
• Attach the following documents to the ePAR prior to submission:
- Staff Job Classification/Reclassification Request Form
- If a reclassification, attach a copy of the current position description
- Current departmental organizational chart
- Proposed departmental organizational chart
• Submit the ePAR for approval. Approvals for the request will be captured through the ePAR workflow process.
• Compensation evaluates the request and provides a recommended job title and salary range and moves the ePAR forward to the next approval step.
• The Department Head will enter in the Dept Approved Final Salary and move the ePAR forward to the next approval step.
• Following approval of the classification/reclassification, Compensation will update any related classification and position descriptions in PeopleAdmin.
• Departments can make any needed modifications to the position description (i.e. for job posting purposes) via the Position Management System. Please go to Position Management web page for details.