HR Compensation is responsible for conducting classification (job) analysis and determining job titles and salary grades for staff positions. Classification analysis is the process of evaluating the duties, responsibilities, scope, and complexity of a position description to determine the job title, job code, and salary grade that most appropriately matches the job specifications.
Classification analysis is necessary in the following instances:
- New Position (Classification): When a department requests the creation of a new position, the duties and responsibilities of the new position will be reviewed by the HR Compensation team to determine the appropriate job title, job code and salary range of the new position based on the responsibilities and requirements of the job
- Reclassification: A reclassification may be considered with the responsibilities, requirements or complexity of an existing staff position significantly change on a permanent basis and the current classification is no longer reflective of the work being performed. HR Compensation will conduct a review to determine if the job title and/or salary grade should change.
Tools and Resources
Staff Job Classification/Reclassification Form - The Staff Job Classification/Reclassification Form is required for submission of a new position or reclassification request and provides information about the requested position to facilitate the classification analysis process.
Staff Job Classification and Reclassification Guide- The quick guide provides information on how to submit a staff classification or reclassification request.
- Classification and Reclassification recorded training is available on UNT World Learning (UNTWL). Once logged into UNTWL, click on the Learning Library and go to the Human Resources category to view all training offered by HR or click on the direct link below.
- ePAR- Classification and Reclassification Training
How to Submit a Classification/Reclassification Request
1. Complete the Staff Job Classification/Reclassification Request Form and save it as a PDF.
2. Complete the related ePAR requesting the new position or reclassification.
3. Attach the following documents to the ePAR prior to submission:
- Staff Job Classification/Reclassification Request Form
- Proposed departmental organizational chart (for reorganizations only)
4. Submit the ePAR for approval. Approvals for the request will be captured through the ePAR workflow process.
5. Compensation evaluates the request and provides a recommended job title and salary range and moves the ePAR forward to the next approval step.
6. The Department Head will enter in the Dept Approved Final Salary and move the ePAR forward to the next approval step.
7. Following approval of the classification/reclassification, the Compensation team will update the related classification description in PeopleAdmin.
8. The department is responsible for updating the position description in PeopleAdmin. Please refer to the position management page for details.
Note: Reclassification guidelines and timelines may vary by institution, particularly for filled positions. Please contact your Campus or System HR team and review applicable institutional policies to determine eligibility for the reclassification process.