At the UNT System, we believe that work is what you do, not necessarily where you go each day. In support of that philosophy, UNT System offers Flexible Work Arrangements (FWA).
What are Flexible Work Arrangements?
Flexible Work Arrangements allow staff to have different work schedules and/or work from a location other than their office or cubicle, when appropriate and as approved by their supervisor(s).
There are three types of Flexible Work Arrangements:
- Flex Time: Work 40 hours a week, but not necessarily Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. This may look like coming in early, leaving early, etc. Flex time also applies to part-time employees.
- Compressed Workweek: Work extending daily hours to take a portion of a day or a full day off during the work period. This may look like four 10-hour days per week, 9-hour days for one day off every other week, etc.
- Remote Work: Working remotely from a pre-approved location other than your office.
Employees who work outside of Texas are responsible for ensuring they have appropriate authorization to work outside of Texas and their W-4 reflects the state they work from. All employees are encouraged to check their paystubs to verify their state income tax withholding, if applicable, is accurate.
Click here for more information.
How can Managers/Supervisors and Staff Learn More?
Flexible Work Arrangements require significant communication and collaboration between supervisors and their staff. The official policies, guidelines, required training information, forms, contact information, and additional resources are below to implement FWA.
Flexible Work Arrangement Training (REQUIRED)
Employees are required to complete ONE training course related to developing flexible work arrangements specific to remote work to ensure understanding of mutual responsibilities before employees can submit a flexible work arrangement schedule for review and approval. Supervisors are required to complete ONE training course related to developing flexible work arrangements specific to remote work before supervisors can approve any positions for consideration of such arrangements.
Both employee and supervisor must complete the training before the flexible work arrangement can be negotiated.
If you have any questions, contact your Campus HR Team.
University Policies & Forms
UNT Flexible Work Arrangement
Questions? Contact your UNT Campus HR Team at email@example.com or call 940-565-2281.
UNTHSC Flexible Work Arrangement
Questions? Contact your UNTHSC Campus HR Team at HSC.HR@untsystem.edu or call 817-735-2690 .
UNT Dallas Flexible Work Arrangement
- UNT Dallas Flexible Work Arrangement Policy
- UNT Dallas Flexible Work Arrangement Guidelines
- Flexible Work Arrangement Form
Questions? Contact your UNTD Campus HR Team at HR@untdallas.edu or call 972-338-1410.
UNT System Administration
- UNT System Flexible Work Arrangement Policy
- UNT System Flexible Work Arrangement Guidelines
- Flexible Work Arrangement Form
Questions? Contact your System HR Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Flexible Work Decision Sheet
- FWA Guidance
- Task Tracker
- Flexible Work Gantt Chart
- LinkedIn Learning Courses – Review these courses recommended by HR on the Working Remote Support website to help you learn strategies, tips and techniques for working and managing remotely. There are courses and learning paths on balancing your work and home life, organization, managing and leading virtually using online technology, etc.
- Flexible Work Arrangement: Toolkit for Success-a valuable guide to understanding key points of our flexible work arrangement policies and guidelines
- Guide to Managing Remote Workers-a detailed guide on best practices for keeping a remote team focused, productive and engaged
- GALLUP: Engagement at Work: Working Hours, FlexTime, Vacation Time, and Wellbeing