Tuesday, March 8, 2022
Employees are receiving emails from external senders offering retirement consultations with email subject lines like "Retirement Meetings for University of North Texas Employees." If you are interested in a free retirement consultation, please contact your campus HR Benefits Advisors to schedule a time to meet and discuss your path to retirement, how close you are to being retirement eligible and what benefits you can anticipate.
Don't be fooled by scam emails. Communications from legitimate UNT System parties will be sent from emails ending with @unt.edu, @unthsc.edu, @untdallas.edu and @untsystem.edu addresses.
Scammers are becoming more and more sophisticated about getting your personal information. Familiarize yourself with these tactics and learn what to watch out for – and report anything suspicious to ITCompliance@untsystem.edu. Always check the sender’s email address. These external companies will not have insight into your State-provided retiree benefits or your service data, but they will try to make an appointment with you to schedule a time to try to sell you investments or other retirement products. Please mark these external marketing emails as "junk":
- Right click on the email
- Click Security options
- Click Mark as Junk
Beware of attempts to gain financial information via these unsolicited emails, texts and phone calls from outside "companies" that offer to meet with you to advise on your retirement plans, accounts or benefits.
Please know that:
- An outside company unaffiliated with the UNT System’s campuses will only be able to help you with such information if you provide them your personal details, including information about your salary. They don’t have this information nor do they have access to your job record or your TRS account – unless you give it to them.
- Your HR Benefits Advisors have access to your employment information and can advise
- What your expected income will be from TRS
- When you are eligible to retire and what other benefits you’ll be eligible for (like health insurance) for both TRS and ORP participants
- Who your legitimate ORP vendor reps are, and their direct contact info (AIG, Fidelity, TIAA, Voya) that can provide one free financial planning session
- Voluntary Retirement Savings Plans you can participate in as an employee. These are employee benefits available to you that can help you save for retirement and reduce taxes on your pay
Your HR Benefits Advisors are here to help. Please reach out to us – we’ll be glad to help you plan ahead, understand your retirement benefits, and connect you to legitimate resources.