- Vacation leave is paid time off for personal use. Leave is accumulated at hire for benefits-eligible staff.
- An employee must have six months of employment with the State of Texas before they can use the accumulated vacation leave.
- Vacation leave has a maximum number of hours that can carry forward into a new fiscal year. The hours an employee can carry forward are determined by the employee’s months of state service. Vacation accruals exceeding the maximum balance will roll over to the employee’s sick leave balance.
- Employees who transfer to another Texas state agency without a break in service will have their hours transferred to the new employer.
- Employees terminating or retiring will be paid for any remaining vacation balance.
- Monthly accruals are added to the employee’s balance on the first day of each month.
Vacation Leave Policies:
Find Your Vacation Leave
Vacation-eligible employees accrue vacation time in hours each month. Eight (8) hours accrue when state employment begins, increasing when a service milestone is met. See table below for monthly accrual hours by service, and allowable carryover hours.
|Length of Service||Hours Accrued per Month||Days Accrued per Year||Allowable Carryover (Hours)|
|Less than 2 years||8||12.0||180|
|At least 2 but less than 5 years||9||13.5||244|
|At least 5 but less than 10 years||10||15.0||268|
|At least 10 but less than 15 years||11||16.5||292|
|At least 15 but less than 20 years||13||19.5||340|
|At least 20 but less than 25 years||15||22.5||388|
|At least 25 but less than 30 years||17||25.5||436|
|At least 30 but less than 35 years||19||28.5||484|
|At least 35 years or more||21||31.5||532|
Part time employees who work 50 percent of the time or higher, receive pro-rated vacation accruals based on their work percentage.
Leave and Time reporting is managed by department timekeepers and the Payroll department in the consolidated controller's office.
Find vacation leave balance by logging in with your EUID and password at MyUNTSystem.