Skip to main content

Reminder: TRS Service Purchase Estimates Expire Aug. 31

If you have received an estimate to purchase service credit under TRS, the estimated cost will no longer apply if you do not begin the purchase by September 1, 2020. After that date, the cost to purchase service credit will increase.

TRS members have the option to purchase Service Credit, in addition to earning membership service credit for employment with a TRS-covered employer. Examples of eligible service purchase include:

Withdrawn Service Credit

Withdrawn service credit occurs if you left TRS covered service and withdrew your contributions. Withdrawing contributions cancels all TRS service credit and cancels your membership. To reinstate withdrawn service credit, generally you must resume membership in TRS — have an active account and account balance with TRS — and pay all costs for the withdrawn service credit to TRS.

Unreported Service

Unreported service is service that should have been reported to TRS but was not reported at the time the service was rendered. This includes service that would not be eligible by itself but becomes eligible when combined with eligible service performed for another TRS-covered employer during the same school year. Service on or after Sept. 1, 2011, must be verified within five years after the end of the school year in which the unreported service and/or substitute service was rendered and/or the compensation was paid. Unreported service prior to September 2, 2011 is not eligible.

Out-of-State Service Credit

If you have out-of-state service in a public school system or college and you have at least five years of TRS membership service credit, you may be eligible to purchase out-of-state service credit.

You may purchase one year of eligible out-of-state service credit for each year of service credit with a TRS-covered employer, up to a maximum of 15 years.

Military Service Credit

If you have at least five years of TRS membership service credit for actual service with a TRS-covered employer, you may purchase up to five years of service credit for active duty federal military service in the U.S. armed forces. Both voluntary and draft service is eligible. Service as a reservist or member of the National Guard who was ordered to active duty under the authority of federal law is also considered eligible military service.

For more service credit options, cost, rules and more, see TRS Service Credit Brochure (pdf).