Medical and Mental Health Care Leave –provides paid time off for eligible employees who are veterans and eligible for health benefits under a program administered by the Veterans Health Administration of the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
- Veterans are defined as individuals who served in the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard, or Marine Corps; or the Texas National Guard and the Texas Air National Guard.
- Eligible employee may be granted Leave with pay not to exceed fifteen (15) working days each fiscal year to obtain medical or mental health care administered by the VA, including physical rehabilitation.
- An employee must provide advance notification to their supervisor and medical documentation to Human Resources before taking a leave of absence to obtain VA services.
- Veterans eligible for this Leave are not required to use their sick Leave for care provided by the VA unless they have exhausted their maximum 15-day allotment.
- The Chancellor/President may grant additional days of Leave as appropriate for the employee.
Medical and Mental Health Care Leave for Veterans Policies: