At the UNT System, we believe that work is what you do, not necessarily where you go each day. In support of that philosophy, UNT System is promoting Flexible Work Arrangements (FWA).
What are Flexible Work Arrangements?
Flexible Work Arrangements allow our staff to work at a time from a location other than their office or cubicle, when appropriate and as approved by their supervisor(s).
There are three types of Flexible Work Arrangements:
- Flex Time: Work 40 hours a week, but not necessarily Monday-Friday 8 a.m.-5 p.m. This may look like coming in early, leaving early, etc. based on supervisor approval. Flex time also applies if you work 20-39 hours per week.
- Remote Work: Working remotely from a pre-approved location other than your office during hours agreed by a staff member’s supervisor(s).
- Compressed Workweek: Work extended daily hours in order to take a portion of a day or a full day off during the work period. This may look like four 10-hour days per week, 9-hour days for one day off every other week, etc. based on supervisor approval.
How can Managers/Supervisors and Staff Learn More?
Flexible Work Arrangements require significant communication and collaboration between supervisors and their staff. The official policy and forms are below, as well as links to required training and tips to implement FWA well going forward.
University Policies & Forms
UNT Flexible Work Arrangement
Questions? Contact your UNT Campus HR Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 940-565-2281.
UNTHSC Flexible Work Arrangement
Questions? Contact your UNTHSC Campus HR Team at HSC.HR@untsystem.edu or call 817-735-2690 .
UNT Dallas Flexible Work Arrangement
- UNT Dallas Flexible Work Arrangement Policy
- UNT Dallas Flexible Work Arrangement Guidelines
- Flexible Work Arrangement Form
Questions? Contact your UNTD Campus HR Team at HR@untdallas.edu or call 972-338-1410.
UNT System Administration
- UNT System Flexible Work Arrangement Policy
- UNT System Flexible Work Arrangement Guidelines
- Flexible Work Arrangement Form
Questions? Contact your System HR Director at email@example.com.
Flexible Work Arrangement Training (REQUIRED)
Employees are required to complete ONE training course related to developing flexible work arrangements specific to remote work to ensure understanding of mutual responsibilities before employees can submit a flexible work arrangement schedule for review and approval. Supervisors are required to complete ONE training course related to developing flexible work arrangements specific to remote work before supervisors can approve any positions for consideration of such arrangements.
Both employee and supervisor must complete the training before the flexible work arrangement can be negotiated.
Training is offered online only. Once you have completed your training course, there will be an assessment with a required score of 80%. Upon completion of the assessment, you will download the application form, get required signatures, and upload the form for HR approval.
To enroll in the training:
- Login to UNT World Learning
- On the "My Learning" page you will find the training in the “Recommended” section on that page
- Click on Enroll to begin (top right)
If you have any questions, contact your Campus HR Team (information listed above).
- Flexible Work Arrangement: Toolkit for Success-a valuable guide to understanding key points of our flexible work arrangement policies and guidelines
- Guide to Managing Remote Workers-a detailed guide on best practices for keeping a remote team focused, productive and engaged
- GALLUP: Engagement at Work: Working Hours, FlexTime, Vacation Time, and Wellbeing
Recommended LinkedIn Learning Courses
Review these recommended LinkedIn Learning courses from the ODE team on the Working Remote Support website to help you learn strategies, tips and techniques for working and managing remotely.
There are courses and learning paths on balancing your work and home life, organization, managing and leading virtually, using online technology, etc.