The Federal Leave Options that became available on April 1, 2020 as part of a relief package related to the COVID-19 are set to expire Dec. 31. Currently, there is no signed legislation that would extend the use of those leave types.
What Does that Mean To Me?
The last date to use one of those leaves is Dec. 31. If you have used any of those leave types, you must enter them into the time reporting system no later than Jan. 15, 2021. After that date, those codes will no longer be available.
Which Leave Types Are We Referring To?
Emergency Paid Sick Leave Act: This leave is available to employees who have been employed by UNT World for at least 30 days. Full-time employees are entitled to 80 hours of paid sick time; part-time employees hours will be prorated based on FTE. You may qualify for this leave if you experience one of the following:
- Governmental quarantine or isolation order (pay limitation: the lesser of 100% pay or $511 per day, and $5,110 in aggregate)
- Advised by a healthcare provider to self-quarantine (pay limitation: the lesser of 100% pay or $511 per day, and $5,110 in aggregate)
- Caring for an individual who is subject to governmental or self-quarantine (pay limitation: the lesser of two-thirds salary or $200 per day, and $2,000 in aggregate)
- Caring for the employee's child because the child's school or childcare provider is closed (pay limitation: the lesser of $200 per day, and $2,000 in aggregate)
- Experiencing a substantially similar circumstance related to COVID-19 as specified by the Department of Health and Human Services, in consultation with the Department of Labor
Emergency Family and Medical Leave Extension
This leave provides up to 12 weeks leave for an employee who cannot work because the school or childcare provider of that employee's child is closed as a result of a public-health emergency. The first 10 days (2 weeks) are unpaid, the remaining 10 weeks is paid at two-thirds of regular pay for the number of hours per week the employee normally works. The maximum amount of pay is $200 per day, and $10,000 in aggregate.
Please note: Documentation must be maintained by the department for any employee using Emergency Paid Sick Leave. Those choosing to use Expanded Family and Medical Leave will apply through FMLA Source, and required documentation will be maintained by Human Resources.
For more information please see Working Conditions under COVID 19. For questions regarding these leave options, contact HRbenefits@untsystem.edu.