Retirement and Separation
Faculty and staff who resign, retire, transfer to another State of Texas agency or higher education location, or leave employment for any reason must complete the retirement and separation process.
An exit interview or meeting is not required, but all departing employees must complete the clearance/exit form and submit it to their department manager (UNT, UNT Dallas, UNT System Administration and UNT Dallas College of Law) or campus police department (UNTHSC).
- Find the clearance, resignation or off-boarding form for UNT, UNTHSC, UNT Dallas, UNT Dallas College of Law and UNT System Administration.
- Find the additional employee separation form required for UNT Dallas.
- Find the lump sum payment request (HRM-9) form for separation for UNT, UNT Dallas, UNT Dallas College of Law and UNT System Administration.
- Find the Sick Leave Pool donation form. (Departing employees do not receive payment for unused sick leave; learn more.)
- Find a Retirement Manager guide for ORP participants.
- Learn about Texas Saver 457 accounts.
- Find a guide to ORP retirement planning.
- Find a guide to TRS retirement planning.
Resignation, Separation, Off-Boarding, Clearance, Lump sum/HRM-9
An exit interview or meeting is not required for ending employment at any UNT System component.
A form must be submitted, however. All departing employees must complete the clearance/exit form and submit it to their department manager (UNT, UNT Dallas, UNT System Administration and College of Law) or campus police department (UNTHSC.) UNT Dallas employees also should submit the UNT Dallas Report of Employee Separation to their manager, who should forward it to the UNT Dallas Campus HR office.
- Find the clearance form for UNT, UNTHSC, UNT Dallas, College of Law and UNT System.
- Find the additional exit form for UNT Dallas.
Here are steps to take to ensure a smooth departure:
- Print the exit form, obtain signatures, and return it to your department supervisor, or at UNTHSC, to the Police Department.
- Update your address by logging in at MyUNT, MyHSC, MyDallas, MySystem or MyLaw. Be sure your records show a correct home or preferred address, phone and email, so future correspondence will not be delayed.
- The final paycheck will be direct deposited. Check with your departmental payroll representative to verify.
Employees who have more than six months of state service and are not transferring to another state agency will be paid for vacation time. If you leave employment mid-month, any unused vacation time is generally applied until the end of the month. Any remaining vacation time will then be paid out in a lump sum.
If you transfer to another state agency, which includes another UNT System component, your vacation and sick leave balances will transfer only if there is no interruption in service.
There is no payment for unused sick leave. You may donate your unused sick leave to the Sick Leave Pool to assist colleagues who are experiencing catastrophic illnesses or circumstances.
Non-exempt employees will be paid for any remaining compensatory time.
TRS (Teacher Retirement System) Plan Participants
If you are retiring from a UNT System component as a TRS member, the retirement process should begin about six (6) months prior to your planned departure date. Find information and a guide for retiring TRS members.
If retirement is a few or many years in the future, contact TRS for planning assistance.
ORP (Optional Retirement Plan) Participants
Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) participants should contact their plan vendor about 60 days prior to the expected departure or retirement date. Further discussions about ORP contribution options are your responsibility. If you are retiring, find a guide for ORP members.
Regular staff members will remain on insurance programs through the end of the month in which they are separated from service. For example, if your last day at work is Oct. 10, your insurance will continue through Oct. 31.
Regular faculty, adjunct instructors and benefits-eligible graduate students who complete the spring semester will remain on insurance programs through Aug. 31, the end of the fiscal year.
If you are transferring to another Texas public university or state agency with no break in service, your insurance may be continued. Contact the benefits coordinator at your new agency for guidance. If you leave Texas public employment, ERS-administered health and dental coverage ends.
Continuing ERS-Administered Insurance with COBRA
Employees and dependents who separate from state employment may choose to keep ERS-administered health and dental coverage for up to 18 months after employment-related coverage ends. This coverage is referred to as COBRA, an acronym for a federal law. If you choose COBRA, you will pay the full cost of your premium(s).
If you transfer to another Texas public university or state agency without an interruption in service, your insurance benefits also will transfer. Contact the benefits coordinator at your new agency for assistance.
Affordable Care Act
Regular faculty and staff members are covered by the Texas Unemployment Compensation Act and may be eligible for weekly benefits payments during a period of unemployment. The Texas Workforce Commission determines if a former employee is eligible. The cost is paid by the employer and no deductions are made from employee pay for this purpose.
Former employees who have questions about eligibility should contact the Texas Workforce Commission, which manages all claims.
Death of an Employee or Retiree
We are saddened by the loss of an active employee or a retiree, and want to ensure that records are managed with care and sensitivity. Here's what to do when a colleague or a retiree dies:
- Notify the UNT System Human Resources Department at 1-855-878-7650 or email@example.com
- Notify the Payroll Office, 940-369-5500, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Notify the employee's supervisor. Co-workers who wish to attend funeral services may be granted administrative leave to do so if approved by their supervisor.
- Notify survivors of any personal property in the workplace and discuss its disposition. If applicable, pack and store items in a secure place.
- Advise family or survivors that system or university property (equipment, keys, uniforms) should be returned.
- Notify the marketing and communications departments at UNT, UNTHSC, UNT Dallas, UNT Dallas College of Law and UNT System Administration so that an obituary may be published (with permission) in university publications. At UNT, the Division of Student Affairs hosts the Flight Memorial Ceremony each spring to honor faculty, staff, students and alumni who have passed away during the previous year.
Photo: UNT System Service Awards, 2015; from left, James Maguire, Nancy Footer, Tracy Grunig, Rosemary Haggett, Janet Waldron, 5-year award recipient Bart Luedemann, Chancellor Lee Jackson and Luis Lewin.