Retirement and Separation

Faculty and staff who retire, transfer to another State of Texas agency or higher education location, or leave employment for any reason must complete the retirement and separation process.

An exit interview or meeting is not required, but all departing employees must complete the clearance/exit form and submit it to their department manager (UNT, UNT Dallas, UNT System Administration and UNT Dallas College of Law) or campus police department (UNTHSC). 

Here are steps to take to ensure a smooth departure:

  • Exit, Separation, Off-Boarding, Clearance and Lump Sum Payment/HRM-9

    • Print the clearance form, return keys and property, obtain signatures and return the form to your department supervisor, or at UNTHSC, to the Police Department. 
    • Update your address by logging in at MyUNT, MyHSC MyUNTDallas, MySystem or MyLaw. Be sure your records show a correct home or preferred address, phone and email, so future correspondence will not be delayed.
    • The final paycheck will be direct deposited. Check with your departmental time, leave and payroll representative to verify.
    • Employees who have more than six (6) months of state service and are not transferring to another state agency will be paid for vacation time. If you leave employment mid-month, any unused vacation time is generally applied until the end of the month. Any remaining vacation time will then be paid in a lump sum. This payment will be direct deposited. Find a chart of vacation time accrual for full-time, benefits-eligible employees.
    • If you transfer to another Texas public institution, state agency or another UNT System location, your vacation and sick leave balances will transfer if there is no interruption in service. Contact the Human Resources representative at your new agency for assistance.
    • There is no payment for unused sick leave. You may donate your unused sick leave to the Sick Leave Pool to assist colleagues who are experiencing catastrophic illnesses or circumstances.
    • Non-exempt employees will be paid for unused Federal 1.5 compensatory time.
    • Verify your vacation, sick leave and compensatory time by logging in to MyUNT, MyHSC MyUNTDallas, MySystem or MyLaw.
  • Retirement

    Retirement planning should begin about 10-12 months prior to your planned departure date.  Contact a Human Resources Benefits Coordinator for assistance. (If retirement is a few or many years in the future, contact the Teacher Retirement System of Texas for planning assistance.) Find information about the Texas Saver 401(k)/457 retirement savings plans.

  • Optional Retirement Plan Participants

    Optional Retirement Plan (ORP) participants should consult with their vendor to discuss options. The Business Service Center Payroll office will advise your carrier that you are no longer an employee. Further discussions about your ORP plan are your responsibility.

  • TRS Participants

    If you are enrolled in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS), you’ll need to discuss your retirement goals with a TRS representative before contacting Payroll. In general, participants who leave a UNT System location or other state agency have these choices:

    • Less than five (5) years of service
      • Withdraw the funds in your TRS Account. Federal income taxes will be withheld from the refund check. Refunds or a payout can take 8-12 weeks.
      • Roll your TRS funds into an eligible retirement plan. To do so, go to the TRS website and complete the Refund/Rollover Request Form (TRS 6). This must be signed and notarized before it can be returned to Payroll.
    • Five (5) or more years of TRS service
      • Withdraw, roll over or leave your account intact while you review retirement and monthly annuity options.
      • If you are transferring to another Texas public university or to an independent school district, no changes are needed, as your contributions to TRS will continue.
  • ERS-Administered Insurance

    • Regular staff members will remain on insurance programs through the end of the month in which they are separated from service. For example, if your last day at work is Oct. 10, your insurance will continue through Oct. 31.
    • Regular faculty, adjunct instructors and benefits-eligible graduate students who complete the spring semester will remain on insurance programs through Aug. 31, the end of the fiscal year.
    • If you are transferring to another Texas public university or state agency with no break in service, your insurance may be continued. Contact the benefits coordinator at your new agency for guidance. If you leave Texas public employment, ERS-administered health and dental coverage ends.
  • Continuing ERS-Administered Insurance with COBRA

    Employees and dependents who separate from state employment may choose to keep ERS-administered health and dental coverage for up to 18 months after employment-related coverage ends. This coverage is referred to as COBRA, an acronym for a federal law. If you choose COBRA, you will pay the full cost of your premium(s).

    If you transfer to another Texas public university or state agency without an interruption in service, your insurance benefits also will transfer. Contact the benefits coordinator at your new agency for assistance.

  • Affordable Care Act

    • The Affordable Care Act, a federal law that mandates health insurance options for all citizens, began October 1, 2013. Separated employees who are eligible and covered under the group benefits plan through ERS may use COBRA or applicable retiree benefits plans. Separated employees may be eligible for plans offered by the Affordable Care Act.
    • Learn more about the Health Insurance Marketplace.
  • Unemployment Compensation

    Regular faculty and staff members are covered by the Texas Unemployment Compensation Act and may be eligible for weekly benefits payments during a period of unemployment. The Texas Workforce Commission determines if a former employee is eligible. The cost is paid by the employer and no deductions are made from employee pay for this purpose.

    Former employees who have questions about eligibility should contact the Texas Workforce Commission, which manages all claims.

  • Death of an Employee or Retiree

    We are saddened by the loss of an active employee or a retiree, and want to ensure that records are managed with care and sensitivity. Here's what to do when a colleague or a retiree dies:

    • Notify the UNT System Human Resources Department at 1-855-878-7650 or
    • Notify the Business Service Center Payroll Office, 940-369-5500,
    • Notify the employee's supervisor. Co-workers who wish to attend funeral services may be granted administrative leave to do so if approved by their supervisor.
    • Notify survivors of any personal property in the workplace and discuss its disposition. If applicable, pack and store items in a secure place.
    • Advise family or survivors that system or university property (equipment, keys, uniforms) should be returned.
    • Notify the marketing and communications departments at UNT, UNTHSC, UNT Dallas, UNT Dallas College of Law and UNT System Administration so that an obituary may be published (with permission) in university publications. At UNT, the Division of Student Affairs hosts the Flight Memorial Ceremony each spring to honor faculty, staff, students and  alumni who have passed away during the previous year.


Photo: UNT System Service Awards, 2014; from left, Nancy Footer, Janet Waldron, Chancellor Lee Jackson and recipient Robert Blake, James Maguire, Steve Goodson.