Annual enrollment for FY17 is:
July 17-30 - for eligible UNT (Denton) employees
July 24-Aug. 6 - for eligible employees at UNTHSC, UNT Dallas and its College of Law, and UNT System Administration
Benefits selected will be effective Sept. 1, 2016-Aug. 31, 2017; learn more.
Insurance benefits include medical, dental, prescription drugs, optional term life insurance, short term disability and long term disability, accidental death and dismemberment and dependent term life.
The Employees Retirement System of Texas (ERS) administers most insurance benefits. Find information about cost, providers, coverage in the links below.
Annual enrollment in State of Texas-sponsored health and optional benefits is scheduled each summer, usually in July. Enrolled employees with a qualifying life event such as marriage, divorce, birth or adoption of a child may adjust benefits to accommodate that change within 30 days of its occurrance. Enrolled employees with questions may contact a Human Resources Benefits Coordinator, or log in with your ERS name and password to contact ERS by phone or email.
Coverage selected during annuall enrollment is effective from Sept. 1 through Aug. 31, the fiscal year for the State of Texas.
Who is eligible?
Benefits-eligible employees are:
- Part time employees who work 20-29 hours per week (50 to 74 percent of FTE)
- Full time employees who work 30 or more hours per week (75 percent of FTE)
The group benefit plan is administered by the Employee Retirement System of Texas (ERS) on behalf of the State of Texas. The health plan's official name is HealthSelect of Texas, or Health Select, and it is managed by United Healthcare.
Benefits-eligible employees must enroll the optional benefits (dental, optional term life insurance, short term and long term disability, accidental death and dismemberment and dependent term life insurance) during the first 31 days of employment.
Full-time employees automatically will be enrolled in Employee Only medical coverage, but must enroll dependents under medical coverage during the first 60 days of employment. Part-time employees must enroll themselves and any dependents into the medical plan during the first 60 days of employment. If the 31-day deadline or the 60-day deadline is missed, employees must wait until the next Annual Enrollment period, or may enroll if they experience a qualifying life event such as marriage, divorce, birth of child, etc.
- Find information about qualifying life events.
Annual Enrollment is coordinated by ERS. All employees may make changes to their ERS-administered benefits during Annual Enrollment.
The UNT System employer pays the cost of medical insurance for full-time employees, those who work 30 or more hours per week, and a portion of the cost for employees who work 20-29 hours per week. Employees must pay for insurance for family members. Benefits deductions are managed by Payroll.
Tobacco Use Certification
State law requires enrollees to certify tobacco use.
United Healthcare Allies offer vision benefits, coaching and discounts on health, fitness and wellness products and services that may not be included in the insurance plan. These products and services are not insurance, but are available to eligible employees enrolled in UnitedHealthcare’s HealthSelect plan. Programs include weight management, nutrition counseling, gym memberships, fitness equipment and apparel, stress management and others.
Enrolled employees may learn more and find participating providers by logging into myuhc.com/hs and selecting the Extra Programs and Discounts icon on the right side of the page.
Human Resources Benefits Coordinators and the HR Records and Support Center are available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Center staff may refer callers to ERS because only an ERS representative can answer certain specific questions. Support Center staff cannot access employee ERS records. Eligible and enrolled employees may visit the ERS website to register and obtain a password for self-service activities.
ERS Benefit Links and Resources - Find NEW Options for FY17
- United Healthcare HealthSelect (ERS)
- Consumer Directed Health Select - NEW in FY17 - a high-deductible plan for employees not eligible for Medicare
- Prescription drug plan (Caremark) through 12/31/2016
- ERS Tobacco Certification Policy
- ERS Dental Plans - Dental Discount Plan by Careington - NEW in FY17
- ERS State of Texas Vision - NEW in FY17
- ERS Flexible Spending Account (TexFlex) - Health Care
- ERS Flexible Spending Account (TexFlex) - Dependent Care
- ERS Flexibie Spending Account (TexFlex) - Parking, Commuter and Transit - NEW in 2016 and FY17
- ERS Short Term Disability Insurance
- ERS Long Term Disability Insurance
- ERS Dependent Term Life Insurance
- ERS Optional Term Life Insurance
- ERS Voluntary ADD Insurance
- ERS Basic Term Life Insurance
- ERS Rate Calculator - NEW in FY17
- ERS health insurance costs for FY16.
- ERS Health Insurance Opt-Out Credit
- United Healthcare Allies wellness products and services (for eligible employees enrolled in HealthSelect)
- ERS retiree insurance benefits
Please note that ERS administers only these benefits. ERS manages a retirement program for certain state agencies - not for employees of institutions of higher education. Find retirement information.
ERS Flexible Spending Accounts (TexFlex)
TexFlex Flexible Spending Accounts allow employees to pay for certain medical expenses and for dependent care with funds deducted from pay prior to tax calculations. Benefits-eligible employees must enroll in TexFlex during the first 31 days of employment. TexFlex accounts are managed by ADP.
- Find a list of FSA Eligible Expenses.
- Visit the TexFlex website to create an account to upload claims and monitor your balance.
- Find the TexFlex form for health care claims and the form for dependent care claims.
TexFlex health care enrollees may use their debit card for health care expenses, or may submit a claim online, by fax or mail. TexFlex dependent care enrollees cannot use a TexFlex debit card for dependent care claims.
Please note that dependent care claims must be submitted using the ADP form and must include a receipt. If the receipt identifies the cost as "tuition," the claim will be rejected.
A Commuter Spending Account (CSA) also is administered by ADP, LLC, as a TexFlex option. Pre-tax funds may be set aside for parking, and transit expenses.
Questions about TexFlex?
Contact TexFlex ADP Customer Care, toll free 844-884-2364, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Long-Term Care Insurance
Long-term care insurance helps benefits-eligible participants provide for assistance when a serious illness or disability renders them unable, physically or cognitively, to care for themselves for a lengthy period of time. Long-term care can be provided at home or at a nursing facility, assisted living or an alternative care facility.
Long term care is no longer offered at UNT components. Policies issued by CNA to employees prior to Feb. 29, 2016, will remain in place. The cost for long term care is billed directly to enrollees, so your coverage and policy number have not changed and will not change as long as payments are continued. If you have questions, contact a CNA Long term Care representative toll-free at 800-528-4582.
- Contact a Human Resources Benefits Coordinator.
- Call the Human Resources Records and Support Center, 1-855-878-7650, Option 2, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday.
- For payroll deductions and information, contact Business Support Services, 1-855-868-4357.
- Find information about the federal Affordable Care Act.